Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A new chapter awaits.....

7 years ago around this very time, I opened my home to two lovely little girls thus beginning my career as a home daycare provider. It was a wonderful way to stay home with L, who was just 1 at the time plus allowing me to care for children, a profession I adore.

Throughout the last 7 years, I have been blessed to have so many amazing children in my care. Some with me for shorter periods of time, others with me for much longer. The children in my care presently have all been with me for 5-6 years.  It's like they are a part of our family - the kids have so much fun.

Last year, after a spontaneous application to our local school board, I was hired on to work as a supply educational assistant. My families were so supportive and agreed to find alternate care on Fridays so that I can pursue my dream of working in a school.  My ideal plan has been to head back to work once E was in school FT.  With the Full Day Kindegarten in the final stages, I am hoping that I can get on to the ECE supply list and some day be in a kindergarten class full time.  My dream was always to be a kindergarten teacher.

At the end of August, I was offered a great (temporary) opportunity at my children's school - sadly I had to turn it down as I couldn't leave my families to find alternate care in such short notice. This was the push I needed to finally make a definite decision on the future of Smiles N Giggles Home Childcare.

On Thursday September 5th, I very sadly gave my families notice. And when I say "sadly",  I really mean I cried way more than I thought I would. It was so hard for me to know that I'm causing stress to my families.

 It was the most difficult decision I have ever had to make - I love doing home daycare and being home with my children, but feel it is time for me to move on and venture back into the working-outside-the-home world.

Last Thursday, I said good bye to 2 darling kids.  Des started with me in April of 2007, when he was 1 year old.  I have cared for him and his sister, now just doing after school care, for so many years.  It was so sad to see them go - the kids have become such great friends.
And now today, I will be saying goodbye to my last two -  darling little girls, Layla & Ella
 Ella, who one day may become my daughter in law, started with me 5 years ago and her sister last June. Both were only 1 and oh so adorable!

I know that they will be in good hands with their new providers and that we will see them often, at school and during play dates, yet I am still feeling so emotional about this change.

So, as of tonight - the doors of Smiles N Giggles will be closed....and while these doors are closing - new ones are opening.  I will continue to supply for the board as an EA on the days E is in school and keep trying to get onto the ECE supply list.

A big thank you to all of my wonderful families from October 2006 until today...I have loved caring for your children and thank you for trusting me to care for them, providing a loving and nurturing home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment