Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DIY: Birthday Wreath

While searching through my new favourite site Pinterest, I came across the neatest birthday wreath. It sounded really simple and I really wanted to do something special for us on our birthdays. So - I thought I'd give it a try.



Here are the supplies you will need.

** 16" styrofoam wreath
** floral pins
** balloons (I used 480)
** ribbon. (2 spools for sure!)



I found the ribbon and wreath at Michaels for $14.99 but 40% with my coupon. The floral pins I found at WalMart for $1.77 for 100 (Michael's had them for $3.44 for 50)...Balloons were from the dollar store. The ribbon is to wrap the styrofoam wreath - the one I bought seemed to shed bits of styrofoam all over the place so I'm glad I bought it...BUT, the spool I purchased only covered half the wreath and I was in such a rush to get it done that I found bits and pieces of other ribbons to finish it off....not thinking that it would look terrible from the back - through the door. But oh well....

The wreath was the easiest craft I've ever done. So, first off I wrapped the wreath with ribbon and then got started on the balloons. All I did was take two balloons, lined them up top to bottom and put them through the floral pin, being careful not to puncture the balloon. I then stuck the floral pin through the wreath...over and over. It was so easy...the kids were even able to help me do it. They loved being part of our new family birthday wreath.

I added some curly ribbon and a little birthday banner and voila! I LOVE IT! It's so bright and cheery and a fun way to celebrate our birthdays! Here is the finished product:



UPDATE: I couldn't stand looking at the mismatched ribbon through the door once it was hanging, so off I went first thing this morning, Buddaroo's 4th birthday, back to Michaels to get another spool of ribbon. I took all the balloons and ribbon off, unwound the awful ribbon, added the pretty red ribbon, put the balloons and ribbon back on and am SO very happy with it now! It looked beautiful on the door and I received many great compliments on it. Buddaroo LOVED having his picture taken with it this morning =D

1 comment: